Simple classic, winter warmer for when the weather turns cold. This soup is great on Christmas day as a starter or a light lunch during the festive season. Roasting the veggies adds to the natural sweetness of the soup, the sugars in the vegetables caramelise beautifully.
2kg pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 litre vegetable stock
Greek yogurt, optional
Time: 20 minutes prep, 45 minutes to cook.
- Preheat oven to 200°C Gas Mark 6.
- Wash, peel and chop the vegetables into 2cm cubes.
- Place the vegetables along with the garlic on a baking/roasting tray, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion until soft. Add the turmeric and stock.
- Once the vegetables have roasted; remove the garlic from the skin, add the garlic and roasted vegetables to the onion mix.
- Simmer the soup mixture and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, blend until smooth.
- Serve with chopped coriander a dollop of yoghurt or for added heat a swirl of harissa.
TIPS: Serve with sourdough bread with butter.
Pumpkin seeds can be roasted and sprinkled on the soup before serving.
Recipe supplied by The Spice Sisters - www.curryoncooking.com.