This gluten free cake is a firm favourite for both family and friends. It’s ridiculously moreish and very easy to make! It’s called Disco Cake because it’s topped off with a generous dusting of edible glitter, which adds a twinkle and sparkle to the finished cake.
This cake is more of a torte squidgy, squishy, chocolatey heaven!
It’s important to use really good dark chocolate. The high level of cocoa solids gives a deeper chocolate flavour.
300g 75% Dark chocolate
150g Salted butter
200g Granulated sugar
5 large eggs
3 tablespoons ground almonds
Edible glitter (optional) or 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Prep 15 Minutes
Cook 35-40 Minutes
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 180ºC.
- Grease the sides of an 8-inch round loose bottom tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl place the butter, chocolate and sugar, either melt over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave.
- Once melted, stir well and leave to cool slightly at room temperature.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs. Add the ground almonds.
- Slowly add the chocolate mixture to the egg and almonds - Gently mix until it resembles a batter like consistency. Before mixing the two together ensure the chocolate mixture has had a chance to cool down. If the mixture is too warm the eggs will turn to scrambled eggs!
- Pour the batter into the cake tin. Bake on the middle shelf for about 35- 40 minutes or until the top of the cake looks cooked, at this stage the cake should retain a bit of a slight wobble.
- Allow the torte to cool to room temperature. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving sprinkle with cocoa or edible glitter; serve with ice cream.
TIP: To make a chocolate orange version; add the zest of two oranges to the batter before baking.
Curry on Cooking is proud to be supporting Madhouse’s CURRY’OKE nights.
Come and join us on the First Monday of every month for CURRY ‘OKE NIGHT, with delicious curry supplied by Spice Sister Nilam Wright using the fabulous Curry On Cooking kits. After you’ve eaten, you’re welcome to get up and blast out your favourite song. All proceeds go to the Katie Salmon Scholarship Fund. Cost for the evening 5€. Doors open 8pm at the Matrix Studio Madhouse, Edifico Tiro Pichon, Villacosta, Orihuela Costa. Please let us know if you are coming! Call Carla on 666 551 816.
Curry On Cooking spice kits are available for sale at The Madhouse with a donation of 40% from each sale made to the Scholarship.
Check out our Facebook page www.facebook.com/Curryoncooking/, and for recipe ideas our website: www.curryoncooking.com.