In the summer months banana bread is one of the best ways to use up over ripe, soft speckly bananas which would usually be thrown away. Brown sugar makes denser moister bread. We love pistachio nuts and they work really well in this recipe. Great served cold or warm with butter or peanut butter.
150g brown/ caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
150g SR flour
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3 tablespoons unsalted chopped pistachio nuts
Time: Prep: 15 mins, Cook: 50-60 mins
Serves: 8-10 slices
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/fan 160˚C/ gas mark 4.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin or line with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the mashed bananas and nuts, mix in well.
- Whisk the eggs and gradually add to the mixture; beat well after each addition.
- Gently fold the flour and baking powder into the mixture.
- Pour into the tin and bake in the middle of the oven for about 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven; allow to cool before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
TIP: Walnuts work equally well. Chopped dates can be used to replace some of the sugar.
Recipe supplied by the Spice Sisters at Curry on Cooking.
Try their fantastic Curry Kits with an easy to follow recipe, shopping list and made from 100% pure spices and herbs.
Find out more by using one of the following links: