Crunchy, crispy chickpeas are a great tasty and healthy snack for the festive season.
Chickpeas are one of the oldest legumes which have been harvested and eaten for centuries. There are so many different varieties of chickpea, in different shapes and colours; beige, black, red, green and brown. Chickpeas are used all over the world known by different names; garbanzo beans, Bengal grams, Egyptian peas, ceci beans, kabuli chana, kali chole and chole.
High in protein they are a great versatile ingredient to cook with. Did you know chickpeas have been used as a coffee substitute since the 18th century?
I can chick peas
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon chilli (optional)
Time: Prep: 5 minutes. Cook: 45 minutes.
1. Heat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas 4.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. The key to crunchy chickpeas is to ensure they are dry as possible before cooking. Pat dry the chickpeas on a kitchen or a tea towel to remove any excess liquid.
3. In a large bowl mix the oil, paprika, cumin, salt, black pepper.
4. Add the chickpeas and toss well until they are well coated.
Tip out onto a baking tray, spread evenly out and bake for 35 mins or until crisp and golden.
5. After 15 minutes move the chickpeas thoroughly around the tray so they dry out evenly and are crunchy.
6. Leave to cool in the oven, once cold then store in an airtight container.
The Spice Sisters run Indian cookery classes in Spain and UK.
Please get in touch for further information.