For me on a cold winter’s day there’s nothing like a hot buttered, crispy, squidgy crumpet with my cuppa. Crumpets are quintessential British with a very, very long history! Apparently one the earliest reference is around 1380s. Crumpets were initially hard pancakes baked on a griddle. It wasn’t until the Victorian era when bakers began adding yeast that we have an incarnation of the modern crumpet. Homemade crumpets are fairly easy to make and taste so much better than shop bought.
To make the crumpets you will need crumpet rings or baking /egg rings.
225g strong plain flour
1 tsp fine sea salt
7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
½ tsp caster sugar
Butter for greasing tins
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes. Makes /Serves 6.
1. In a sauce pan, gently heat the milk and water until just warm enough to put a finger in and hold it there for a few seconds.
2. Stir in the yeast and sugar. Cover and leave in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes. The mixture needs to be frothy before it’s mixed into the flour.
3. Into a mixing bowl sift the flour and sea salt. Make a well in the middle. When the yeast mixture is ready; pour it into the bowl. Using a wooden spoon mix gently to form a smooth batter.
4. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel, leave in a warm place for around 45 minutes or until the batter rises and becomes light and frothy with bubbles.
5. Grease the insides of the rings well with butter. Place a frying pan over a medium heat, add a knob of butter and arrange the rings in the pan, wait until the butter sizzles then spoon 2 tbsp of the batter into each ring.
6. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, first small bubbles will appear then larger bubbles will appear on the surface and burst.
7. Use a tea towel to protect your fingers to lift the rings and flip the crumpets over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
8. Reheat the pan, grease the crumpet rings and repeat with the remaining batter.
9. Serve the crumpets hot with butter and jam.
TIP: For a flavoured crumpet add a bit of spice into the flour, cardamom, chilli or cumin seeds.
The Spice Sisters run Indian cookery classes in Spain and UK.
Dates for our next 2 retreats in Spain are;
28 May to 2 June and 1 to 6 Oct 2019 at the Akinion Spa and Resort. Please get in touch for further information:-