250g digestive biscuits, crushed
600g cream cheese
100g icing sugar
3 (unwaxed) lemons
284ml double cream
1 tspn cardamom powder
1 tspn crushed cardamom, optional
8 tablespoons lemon curd
Time: Prep 25-30 minutes Chill 2 hours. Serves: 8
If you like tangy lemon curd you'll love this no bake cheesecake with the cardamom complimenting the lemon perfectly.
Did you know cheesecake has been around for a very, very long time? The origins apparently go as far back as ancient Greece, where it’s reported a concoction of crushed cheese, wheat flour and eggs were served to competing athletes in the first Olympics in 776 BC!
Modern cheesecakes come in all sorts of embellishments, forms, combination of flavours, biscuits, different types of cheese, gelling agents cooked and uncooked; a long way from the original three ingredients.
We’ve given the cheesecake an Indian twist by adding powdered cardamom to the base and crushed seeds (optional) in to the cheesecake mix. This is an easy throw it all in cheesecake – luxuriously rich, creamy and tangy, equally at home as an afternoon treat or an after dinner dessert – dress it up with a swirl of dark melted chocolate and sliced strawberries.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter and stir in the digestive biscuits and cardamom powder and mix well until the biscuits are coated.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon firmly press the mixture into the base and sides of a lined 23 cm loose bottomed cake tin. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes.
- Wash, zest and juice the lemons in to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Whisk together until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into the chilled biscuit base and chill in the fridge for 1.5 hours.
- Put the lemon curd in a bowl; add a splash of hot water. With a spoon mix in the water to loosen and thin the curd out – this makes it easier to swirl and spread over the cheesecake. Cover the top of the cheesecake with the lemon curd.
- 10 minutes before serving remove the cheesecake from the tin place on a serving plate. Slice and serve!
SPICE UP YOUR LIFE LEARN TO COOK INDIAN LIKE A PRO
Did you know Curry On Cooking run cookery courses; one to one and in small groups?
We have teamed up with the Akinon Resort in Spain to run courses and are now taking bookings. A brilliant chance to take a break, chill, relax and master Indian cooking.
RETREAT DATES 28th May to 2nd June & 1st Oct to 6th Oct.
DAY COURSE 2nd June & 6th Oct.
For more information about the retreats see