These low carb, protein packed cheesy egg muffins are healthy and so easy to conjure up. Made with eggs and cheese anything goes – any cheese, spice and ingredient combo can be used! They are great as a healthy breakfast, a grab and go snack, or served hot or cold with a salad! The adding of chillies, cumin and garam masala gives these mini crust-less quiches a tasty twist. The egg muffins keep for up to a week stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Can be frozen for up to three months.
20ish spinach leaves
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, diced
6-8 cherry tomatoes, chopped
4 mushrooms, chopped
1 tps cumin seeds
1 tps garam masala
½ tps chillies, chopped( optimal)
1tbs coriander, chopped
Salt to taste
½ tsp black pepper
75g cheddar cheese grated
3 tsp milk
TIME: Prep 10 minutes, cook 20-25 minutes. MAKES 12
A Curry On Cooking spice kit of your choice can be used to replace the spices (use about one quarter to half a sachet depending on taste).
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ 160ºC fan/ Gas Mark 4 and grease a 12 cup muffin tray, if using silicone cases place on a baking sheet.
- In each muffin cup line the bottom with the spinach leaves.
- Place the tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn and onions equally in each cup.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs and milk. Add the spices and seasoning including the green chillies and coriander mix really well.
- Mix in half of the grated cheese. - Pour/ spoon the mix into each of the wells.
- Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until set.
Recipe supplied by The Spices Sisters from Curry On Cooking. Don’t forget to like them on Facebook 'Curry On Cooking'. You can purchase their currylicious kits from www.curryoncooking.com.